THE CHURCH OF ST. BENDT
The Monastery of Ringsted and the Church of St. Bendt.
The Church of St. Bendt is the only building left of Ringsted Kloster, the Benedictine monastery that burned down in 18th century. The church is the oldest brick church in Scandinavia and it dates as far back as around 1170 A.D. when it was built to replace a travertine church erected around 1080.
From 1182 to 1341 Danish kings and queens were buried in the Church of St. Bendt, which, in terms of architecture, history, and sepulchral monuments, is among the finest in the country.
The Church of St. Bendt was the first royal church in Denmark, and in Ringsted rest a.o. King Valdemar 1, Queen Dagmar and King Valdemar Sejr.
The Church of St. Bendt is just a 10-minute walk from Ringsted Outlet, and the church is open every day.
Opening hours: Winter (September 1st to April 30th) 10.00-13.00 and Summer (May 1st to August 31st) 10.00-16.00.